Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 February 2015

RAS Exhibition


Retford is a small market town and it doesn't have an art gallery.  The Art Society Exhibition before Christmas was held in a Church and figure drawing pieces were not permitted.

However, just as I am embarking on Figure Drawing the Art Society is holding its annual Life Class Exhibition in Bassetlaw Museum.  There is dedicated gallery space so the lighting is good but I'm afraid that being small many of the paintings were a little high for me.

The exhibition showed the nude in a variety of styles and media and I was able to take photographs of what I liked best. When I got home I realised that out of all the coloured images I could have taken I'd actually taken none.  These were my favourites.   I seem to have unconsciously chosen modest poses. 


Seated Nude - Ann Everitt
Line and wash

This resonates with my current tasks.  It is line and wash and also has some contextual fabric which at the moment I'm finding hard to draw.  I particularly like the tones of the wash as they show the definition of muscle (the arm) and the way the skin folds as the model is slightly bent. I have tried using an ink wash and found there was little room for manoeuvre if things go wrong.  It is a very spare image but very sensitive.


Life Drawing 1 (Male) - Michael King
Charcoal and chalk

I like this pose because it has lots of shapes that give long sweeping lines - the back is a case in point. However, the image owes as much to tone as line. The chalk highlights are very pronounced and I think this sits well with the general darkness of the picture. The darkness of the outlines varies throughout the drawing from dark to almost not there at all.  The background is indeterminate but indicated in charcoal in three ways, straight sweeps, a hatching and the model is on a scribbly seat. This gives additional interest.

Life Drawing Kim - Michael King
Charcoal

The torso of "Kim" is also by Michael King.  This time he uses the paper as his way of indicating the highlights and charcoal to show the shadows - it's an altogether lighter picture than the one above.   There is some darkness around Kim's right shoulder and this adds both definition and interest,  There is almost the same tone under the right arm leaving just a sliver of highlight on the top.  I'm wary about getting things too dark but this shows that it works.

I've looked closely at the marks that King makes for the hair because it's very textural.  The male model has very short hair and this is shown with short, even marks of different densities.  The skull can be seen below the hair.  I think I know what it feels like.




Kim's hair is different, a little longer but springy and ruffled probably with some gel on.  I think this because of the spikiness shown with dark uneven marks.


Pensive - Sally Telfer
Ink and pencil

Even if I didn't know this drawing is called "Pensive" that's what I would have called it.  Somehow it just gets the mood.  Maybe it's the uncertainty of the washes (I'm sure intentionally) and the way it is cropped.  There are no indications of creases in the skin and the image looks smooth.  The context is not distracting; just a square cushion briefly sketched in.  I am drawn in by his thoughfulness.




After the Shower - Margaret Presley
Pen and ink

 "After the Shower" is different to the other images I have chosen.  It is far less textural, almost like an illustration.  Although the hair is a few curvy lines somehow I know it is damp.  Even being so insubstantial it evokes a mood of  repose and some wistfulness.   The context here is the couch which is drawn with the same precision and emphasis as the figure. I wish I could be so accurate with ink.

This is a lovely exhibition and I've probably not done it justice.  I seem to have chosen from the heart instead of looking more widely at what was shown.  Whilst I have been doing Drawing 1 I have involved myself in various art activities locally and been amazed at how much talent there is even in a small market town.  Who knows I might even exhibit in next years show! 

No comments:

Post a Comment