Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 February 2015

Part 4 Project 3 Ex 2 Basic shapes


Basic shapes


I have an hour to do 6 drawings.  I am restricted because I am working in a group setting so instead of using six different poses I'm going to have to change my position every 10 minutes during an hour long pose.  The model is sitting on a box with weight on her hands and this gives her a very upright position.

I tried to scan but my images were too big so I went back to photos.

1. My first drawing was very much a line drawing.  I find that I need a warm up drawing to get myself going.

The head is disproportionately large (1a) but my scanned image (1b) with the head cropped looked much better.

1a. My warm up drawing - awful head

1b


2. A bit more weight this time

2. This time Sto looks as though she has some weight on her hands; I have managed to get some tension into the arms.  The shoulder line works and she is sitting upright.  A great improvement on 1.



3. The right shoulder was hard but the left leg worked well

3.  I think this is the best of my drawings because it has some depth and it is in proportion.  The breasts need sorting out but with a few more minutes that would have happened.


4. Poor proportions


 4. These proportions are awry and the model seems to be leaning backwards.  The line of the left torso/leg is OK and if she had a seat the model might even appear to be seated.



5a. Here I was looking up at the model from the floor

5.  This time (5a) I tried to draw looking up at Sto and it wasn't at all successful - she looks as though she's standing leaning against the box.  I'm not sure how I could remedy this.  Having said that I like the torso if I do a crop.

5b


I find that everything in this fast drawing discipline is fleeting and there's little time to put things right.  Heads let me down very much - it doesn't bode well for portraiture.  There's a large element of two steps forward and one back I'm afraid.  I find it hard to be consistent.

I only managed 5 drawings.  I'm not sure whether I overshot on my 10 minutes or whether time was called early.






No comments:

Post a Comment