Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 February 2015

Part 4 Project 3 Ex 3 Stance

Stance

Last week was my last one at my Life Group.  I'm going on holiday then having planned surgery so I'll be out of it for a while.  This leaves me with work to do but no life model.

I've managed to find someone who will pose a few times but somewhat reluctantly.  She is an older lady who is unused to modelling and I hope our relationship stands the test. Proportionally she has an average length body but quite short legs.

Each sketch took 3 or four minutes.

Stance 1

Standing with one leg forward.  The red line indicates the central axis.



Stance 2

The model put her weight on a Masai stick and was leaning forward a little.  This accounts for the pretty awful foreshortening in the first sketch.




Stance 3

The Masai stick again but a more dynamic pose. Note the arm, my model changed position from the first to the second pose.



This time the centres didn't seem to match up properly.  The right leg on the second sketch went wrong and I had so many lines I didn't know where I was.  Hence the purple correction.

Stance 4

I got in a mess with the left leg in the second sketch and had to re-position it.






These were quick sketches and I'm reasonably happy with them.  The proportions are sometimes not so hot  but I still panic a bit when I've to work at speed.   I enjoyed working with my fountain pen once I got used to it and I like making the gestural shapes.  They seem to work well when speed is of the essence.

I'm not quite sure if these drawings fit into this section but I did them today at the Art Society.  I'm pretty sure the first ones do.

Getting form with a fineliner
(from photo)
Getting form with a fineliner
(from photo)

I did these three across an A3 page hence the repeat of the figure with her back to us.  I was trying to get all three figures to be the same scale.  I did but they all lost their feet.  I started at the tummy button and built the figure from there using just loops and squiggles.  In spite of this approach the figures seem to have substance.

I also did a couple of pencil sketches again using photos.




1 comment:

  1. Just catching up. You are doing such a good job and I really like the charcoal drawing, last post but one. I went to see an exhibition of Degas' work a few years ago (at the Tate?). Enjoyed it very much

    ReplyDelete