Search This Blog

Thursday 28 May 2015

Assignment 4b Tonal study intro


The second part of Assignment 4 is a tonal study of a reclining figure paying particular attention to creating mood.  I find tone very hard so I anticipate a real challenge.

In 1908, in his A Painter's Notes, Henri Matisse wrote: "When I have found the relationship of all the tones the result must be a living harmony of all the tones, a harmony not unlike that of a musical composition". (1)

The way I handle tone is, I think,  too arbitrary, it's not that I don't care, I just find it hard to get the differentiation I need, particularly if I'm working fast.  It might help if I look at some experts.


James Abbott McNeill Whistler (1834-1903)


I love the way that Whistler can evoke atmosphere with his use of tone.  This painting seems to capture the lovely ethereal feeling of a river at night.  It is in fact the Thames and the secret is in the title "Nocturn: Blue and Silver".  (1)


Nocturn: Blue and Silver Cremorne Lights - Whistler (1872) (2)


The range of colour is so very subtle and the tones lend a shimmer so necessary when rendering water.

Whistler also brought his superb use of tone to portraiture as well and this interests me because I will be drawing a figure.


Harmony in Grey and Green: Miss Cicely Alexander
 Whistler - 1872-4  (3)

Whistler planned this painting meticulously even to the extent of having the carpet specially made. (3)

I would love to see this painting up close - I find it hard to believe in the limited palette I think Whistler used.

Henri Matisse (1869-1954)

I've never been more aware of tone than when I look at the work of Matisse.  This painting was completed in 1912 and exaggerated the use of colour.  It shows the use of blue in many tones:


The Blue Window - Matisse (1912) (4)


Matisse was one of those artists who painted himself many times and in this context I particularly like this one.  The style is spare but the combination of line and tone are so well balanced that I feel as though I know the man.



Self portrait - Henri Matisse (1937) (6)

This portrait is very different to Face (Claude) and yet the artist uses line and tone just the same. This makes me want to experiment with these different styles.



Face (Claude) Matisse - 1946 (6)


I may well get the opportunity in the final part of this Assignment.

A tonal drawing it seems to me can be what you want it to be - it can be meticulous like Whistler or more minimalist like Matisse.



(1) http://www.tate.org.uk/learn/online-resources/glossary/t/tone

(2) http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/whistler-nocturne-blue-and-silver-cremorne-lights-n03420

(3) http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/whistler-harmony-in-grey-and-green-miss-cicely-alexander-n04622

(4) http://www.artyfactory.com/art_appreciation/still_life/henri_matisse.htm

(5) http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/Collection/art-object-page.66505.html

(6) http://www.henri-matisse.net/drawings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment