Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Assignment 4a Line drawing Intro


I have three tasks to complete for Assignment 4:

  • a seated figure - a line drawing (A1)
  • a figure study using tone (A1)
  • a portrait or self portrait combining line and tone

First I want to take a look at how other artists make line drawings.  Because I like his drawings I began with Matisse.  I found that Matisse regarded drawing very highly

I have always considered drawing not as an exercise of particular dexterity...but as a means deliberately simplified so as to give simplicity and spontaneity to the expression, which should speak without clumsiness, directly to the mind of the spectator (1)

These words are worth printing and sticking on the wall.  They are very direct and quite inspirational. 

Here are a few drawings by Matisse in which he clearly takes these words seriously.  I looked particularly at drawings of people because that is what I'm doing.




Face (Claude) Matisse - 1946
Charcoal on paper (1)




Nude from the back by Matisse - 1950
Brush and ink on paper (1)



Study for "Pink Nude) Matisse - 1935
Charcoal on paper (1)


These lines are very spare yet speak volumes.  I need to try to simplify my lines to create "spontaneity without clumsiness".

Henry Moore

Moores' style is so different to that of Matisse.  Moore uses lines to emphasise the roundness of the limbs.  With my work in mind I should take note of the foreshortening on the left arm in this drawing.


Seated figure - Henry Moore - 1954
Graphite on paper  (2)



Man and Woman Seated at Table - Henry Moore - (1984)
Charcoal and pencil on paper  (3)

Moore used drawings to plan his sculptures:



Studies for Sculpture - Henry Moore (1931) (3)


By chance on the internet I found the work of Alan Brown (4)   He seems to create work in a multitude of ways but I concentrated on his drawings.  I find them very accessible and I can understand them in terms of what I have been learning to do.


Back nude drawing - Alan Brown  (4)


Nude pose charcoal - Alan Brown  (4)




Head study 1 - Alan Brown (4)

These examples of drawing are all very different but if there is one common theme for me to take away from them it has to be


KEEP  IT  SIMPLE.

I'm going to document my own work in the next posting the current company seems rather overwhelming!

No comments:

Post a Comment