Search This Blog

Thursday 28 May 2015

Assignment 4b Reclining figure

A figure study using tone (A1)


My husband is a keen cyclist and usually comes home in need of five minutes rest.  I started with my A3 sketchbook because I wanted to use charcoal and it works better big.  I put a tonal range down the side of the page just to remind me just what charcoal can do.

I had to be quick and I didn't get torso right.  In reality he was laying much flatter with his head on a cushion on the sofa arm.  I'm pleased with the legs.  The dense black lycra was hard to capture but when I really looked there were many shades of black (and white).

I drew the figure and then put the sofa around it but I'm not really sure if this is the right way to do it. This pose would benefit from a second try.


Recovering from a ride.


I had a bit more time to do this drawing as it captures the inevitable snooze.


Ten minutes later



























I'm happier with this because the figure really looks relaxed and sleepy.  The torso is better and the head rests comfortably on the cushion.  This is on A3 using a mixture of charcoal and graphite.


I had the idea that I'd like to create the sofa from newspaper then charcoal over the top.  I cut out the shape and stuck it onto my A3 sketchbook paper.  I used my sketches as my reference.  I struggled from the start because the newsprint didn't accept the charcoal very well and I could see the newsprint through it.  Additionally I couldn't get any enough tones and definitely no highlights.  I found it very confusing to draw on newsprint and I think it is too busy.  It was also hard to get the top of the head (where the papers join) to look anything like it should.

The figure is not properly proportioned and I think this is due to having to fit the figure onto the precut sofa.  The hand really did drift off the page. it's not a photographic accident. 

Having said all that the sketch captures post exertion fatigue.


All in


I've fixed the charcoal so I  can't change what I've done but I'm wondering if I could use graphite to get more definition.  May try.


I'm attempting to use materials I've not tried before although an assignment may be a risky place to to do so.  This is my big A1 drawing.   

I put some guide marks in so my proportions didn't go awry and laid down big strokes of Quink ink. I have ready mixed small bottles of different dilutions and used them all.


Just black ink



Putting in darker tones



A well deserved rest


The ink gave me a whole range of not just tones but colours as well and did a lot of the work for me. I used a little graphite and some white chalk.  The chalk was useful for toning down some unwanted inky darkness. I still have to do some work on the legs but I'll have to wait until the light is the same as it was today.

I was surprised that my big strokes worked out so well - the foot for instance it in just the right position; maybe the earlier practise helped.

The proportions are OK (ish) but the head may be a bit on the small side.  I like the way the settee disappears.







No comments:

Post a Comment