Search This Blog

Monday 6 October 2014

Project 4 Ex 1 & 2 Review

I tend to evaluate as I go along but I think the main purpose of this review is to compare the two approaches.

In Ex 1 I encountered the problem of how to create depth and tone using unforgiving media which gives no real option to lighten or darken the pen stroke.  I got over this by by using a sort of scribble technique that enabled me to make darker patches.  I also found the direction of the stroke made a significant difference to the illusion of depth.  In this exercise I used a looking down perspective for the first time and placed my shells on a "beach".  I feel this was quite successful.  There was little overlap of the shells and maybe there should have been.

Exercise 2 was completely different and I used soft pastel to create tone.  I found this much easier probably because it feels more familiar.  I got the hang of using highlights better than I have before and on my second image I was happier with the glass.

Having items on a table made it easier to get a 3D look and using overlapping helped as well.  I found it quite hard to make myself draw the nearest items big enough to get the depth I wanted. 

It took me a long while to do the pastel pictures and understand the way they layer.  I think I may be criticised for "over working" but at least then I'll know what it means.

No comments:

Post a Comment