Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Part 2 Project 5 Ex 3



This is a completely different approach using line and tone to create a feeling of volume and movement. I thought about how animals can be depicted in dramatic ways and that led me to recall an incident in the garden where an owl swooped down on the cat.  The cat and the observers were all shaken but unharmed.  The memory is a strong one.  I thought that because it was "real" I might be able to make it live.

I looked on the internet at owl images that might evoke the sense of drama I remember and I found this by Nolon Stacey.  Whilst I don't want to copy it, it gives me the proportions and feeling that I want.




Barn Owl in flight -  Nolon Stacey - pencil drawing
http://www.nolonstacey.com/photo_11052124.html 


I chose some grey Ingres paper, pencils, graphite sticks and white pastel.  I didn't bother with too much close detail because I wanted to show energy and speed.

Once again I have the problem of the page being too big to scan.  I had to scan in two parts then stitch the images together.  I printed the page on A4 then scanned again so what you see here is a well altered image.  However, the idea hasn't transferred too badly.




My owl


Owl photo

Although I find photographing my work very difficult I tried to take a picture of the owl.  The difference between the scan and the photo is very marked.  The scan, in spite of the manipulation gives a more accurate representation.


The owl was drawn very quickly and has the energy I was striving for.  The white highlights made a huge difference when I added them at the end of drawing.  I haven't made any marks that look like feathers yet there is no doubt they are there.

1 comment:

  1. This really is full of energy and you were so right not to go for too much detail as that may have negated that sense of movement.

    ReplyDelete