Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Part 2 Project 5 Ex 2



This exercise asks me to select an object, either bones or shells, that will lend itself to strong tonal handling.  As I have no bones in my collection it has to be a shell.  The one I've chosen is quite large with bumps and stripes.  It is suggested that this work might take 2 hours.  I have a lot of trouble drawing quickly so I was pleased to have finished with a few minutes to spare.



A shell with strong tonal values


At first I didn't know where to start but after I drew an outline everything slipped into place and I'm quite pleased with the outcome.  I think the shell looks round and the inside looks deep and mysterious. I was unsure how I was going to show the bumps but in the end they just appeared as I put in deep tones and highlights.  Because it rested on its far point light came through from underneath the shell.



1 comment:

  1. Very effective. It really is obvious that your drawing is continue to improve and you must feel very happy with the way that things are going.

    ReplyDelete