Search This Blog

Saturday 23 August 2014

Part 1 - Project 2 - Ex 3


This exercise is about creating the relationship between light and dark that gives drawing contrasts and makes the subject substantial.  This contrast is called tone.  It is essential in all drawings but in monochromatic work it is absolutely vital to the integrity of the piece.

I have a book called Expressive Drawing by Steven Aimone (2009) and he suggests various ways of creating tone;


  • varying the pressure of the drawing tool
  • controlling the amount of ink or paint applied
  • the density of the marks
  • hatching
  • crosshatching


Aimone illustrates his points by using the Study of Leon Kroll, 1915 - 16 by George Wesley Bellows.



A Study of Leon Kroll, 1915-16 by George Wesley Burrows
Crayon on wove paper  (26.7 x 22.2 cm)


The artist uses hatching and crosshatching of various intensities to create a feeling of substance and depth.

I am required to make four quick studies of a simple object using different media in the creation of tone.  I chose a bowl.



Pen and ink gave a very oriental feel


6B pencil  and stumping gives the most representational look



Edding 1340 brushpen gave lots of opportunity to use strokes
With the .1  Staedtler pigment liner I wanted to scribble


Each study is very different but I don't think one is any better than the others.  As I worked the light changed and as the bowl was shiny this made an enormous difference.

My next task was to use three or four objects and concentrate on tone.  I continued with the theme of bowls and stacked them.  My challenge was to differentiate one from the other.



Three stacked bowls - 4B, 6B, 8B pencil with stumping


There were shadows all over the place that confused me at first but I think this is quite successful.
One thing that Aimone is quite insistent on is not to be too negatively critical and I will try to run with the idea.



Aimone S. (2009)  Expressive Drawing.  Lark Crafts.  New York.



1 comment:

  1. It is really interesting to see the different effects that you have obtained with the single bowl. I would agree that no single one is better but they would each have their place depending on what you were trying to do. You have captured the stacked bowls really well.

    ReplyDelete