Search This Blog

Sunday 10 August 2014

Part 1 - Project 2 - Ex 1d

You can draw in 30 days
Mark Kistler



I can't remember a time when I have felt so adrift in learning a new skill - I simply have no points of reference.  I found this book had good reviews when I was searching for a quick fix to my feelings of inadequacy.  It is the absolute opposite to Maslen and Southern - very directive and formulaic but packed full of the answers to some of my questions about positioning and perspective.  Like many other authors I have read Kistler says that drawing is an acquired skill and not a talent.

The writing style is pretty hard to take but if you can overlook it there's a lot of good advice upon which to build.  I'm hoping that between the two books I can find a middle road that supports my learning and bolsters me up a bit.

Kistler starts with a section on spheres.  At the end of the section I understood about size influencing how close objects look, the effect of overlapping, graduated shading and drawing objects higher in the picture to make them look further away.

I've followed the instructions to the letter and these are some of my sketches.










I feel this has moved me on and given me some much needed reference points.  My tutor may well have something to say about this way of learning but I liken it to learning times tables by rote in order to make life easier later on.  

Kistler. M. 2011. You can draw in 30 days.  De Capo Press. Cambridge, MA 02142

No comments:

Post a Comment