Search This Blog

Friday 12 September 2014

Part 2 Project 1 Reflections

I think  it is easier to suggest three dimensions with man made items than with natural ones.  The shapes of the man made items tend to be regular and to some extent they are familiar and predictable.  For instance boxes are all pretty much the same and a basic shape can be adapted.  The stones I used were all one offs and each one had to be separately observed and defined as there was no basic pattern in my head. The angles which gave the stones their depth were very hard to capture because they lacked definition.

Solidity was created by drawing in shadows.  In the case of the stones this was quite dark as there were gaps between the stones that created deep cavities. I also used perspective to indicate items further away from me.

Changing the viewpoint from straight on to looking downwards (Ex 1a) challenged what my eye saw and my head told me!  The bowl became just a circle with shading which I found difficult.

Changing the composition made a lot of difference to how I felt about my work.  In Ex 1 I wasn't entirely happy with the arrangement and was unsure how to make things better and this led to some frustration. After doing some reading I felt more positive about making changes and I wasn't quite so at sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment