Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Part 2 Project 2 Ex 1b


Famous marks

I've had a look at some famous artists mark making.  My selections were made on the basis of whether I could recognise the sort of marks I've made as I have experimented.

I found this lovely drawing by van Gogh.  He uses very basic materials to create this varied and interesting street scene.  The marks are very much the sort I might make but ordered in such a wonderful and meaningful way.

Street in Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer. van Gogh. 1888
Reed pen, quill and ink over chalk. 1

I continued to look at the drawings of van Gogh for a long time because there are lots that use marks in this way.


Cy Twombly - Untitled. 1970.  2

This Twombly piece reminds me of my temporary marks using a glow stick.  Twombly used oil based house paint and crayon on canvas for this image.

I've not come across Leon Kossoff before but I liked this work very much.

Going Home by Leon Kossoff. 1984
Drypoint, etching and aquatint on paper 3

Unlike the softer lines of the previous works this is mainly straight lines in different densities.  It has a busy, rushed feeling as people go home after work.  There is no connection between the people.



A Bridge in the Grande Chartreuse - W Turner. 1802
Chalk, gouache and pencil on paper. 4

This is very atmospheric and I think that is because of the textures Turner employs.
The text tells me that this was probably done very quickly.  It was worked with a mid tone paper and pencil , highlighted with white gouache then darkened with soft pencil and chalk. 4



1  http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/336318

2  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/arts/design/cy-twombly-an-art-who-emphasized-mark-making.html?
_r=0
3 http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/kossoff-going-home-p77052

4  http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/exhibition/colour-and-line-turners-experiments/colour-and-line-room-guide/colour-and-line

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating to look specifically for the mark making.

    ReplyDelete