Search This Blog

Thursday 17 July 2014

Part 1 - Feeling, memory and imagination

Drawing Skills 1

Warm up - temporary drawings.


As part of my Textiles Degree I now have a list of options to choose from. I've chosen Drawing Skills because I think it's something I need to work on and improve. That sounds a bit like it's going to be nasty medicine but I don't feel that way about it at all.

Drawing will be good underpinning for my Textiles work, it's hands on and I have daydreams about producing good work as I sit in the sun on a lovely beach.

I am well out of my comfort zone but at the end of a year of hard work I hope to have more confidence in what I can do and a range of drawing choices to support my other work.  My header is a drawing I did some time ago and will serve as a constant reminder of where I began this particular journey.

I love getting to grips with things that challenge me and I'm very excited to be at the beginning something new.  

My course has arrived and I'm ready to start.

The first thing I need to try is making some temporary marks.  Several things are suggested and I decided to see how many different marks I could make with water on a broom.  My paving slabs were very hot and my images dried almost too quickly for me to take a photo.  In an attempt to delay the drying I used more water but lost the clarity of my marks.





Sweeping movements

More sweeping



Downward thrusts



A swirling motion


With more water it lost its clarity


Shaking the broom

I noticed that when I dripped washing up liquid into still water it formed quiet, delicate shapes.  I tried to capture this with my camera but it looks very vague and not at all like I saw in reality.

Washing up liquid in still water

My grandchildren had more success with chalk on stone although it looks like it might be around for some time!



Whilst I have been thinking about temporary marks I was reminded of a short film I saw some time ago at the Harley Gallery.  It showed the work of an artist who used a rake to create wonderful patterns in sand.  When the tide came in it was gone.  Unfortunately I can't remember his name but the work of Tony Plant is very similar.  Try looking at 


and it will amaze you.

I found some Glow Straws in the drawer and waited until it was dark to see if my partner could capture some marks as I swirled a couple of them around.  It was the strangest effect; I could see great colours and lots of movement but the camera image was minimal.  As a photographer he had no idea what his image would be!







I printed these images and stuck them together.

It's a bit messy but I like the idea.

I don't think that crabs create art but I think these patterns are well worth a mention.  I took the photos on a beach in Malaysia.





The artist




No comments:

Post a Comment