Search This Blog

Thursday 23 July 2015

The Real Thing

I've become a bit wary of analysing this work to death in an attempt to do my best so now I'm going to go for the final image.

I have a sample pack of Japanese paper from Lawrences and for my carrier I've selected Hosho paper which is 77gsm.  My frottage will be on Imitation No 3 which is 31gsm.  I'm hoping that the final work can be back lit but at the moment I've no way to tell whether that will work or not.

There is a rough and a smooth side to each of the sheets and I plan to use the rough one.

I have chosen the best ideas from the work I've done to date.

Working on Japanese paper

The same piece back lit

It looks OK but it doesn't feel resolved.  I think the move to smaller paper was a retrograde step because it seems cramped.

Back lighting made a huge difference especially to the frottaged "tree".

I've decided that I need to go bigger not smaller,  I'm making another change as well - using only black and white.

First I had a try in my sketchbook.  I had a go at blowing ink for the climbing plant but it didn't work well.



Monochrome 1

In my next attempt I introduced a newspaper "lawn" with good results.


Monochrome 2


My final piece

My only large paper is my A1 pad and I don't think it's substantial enough so I've selected some heavy lining paper to work on.  I used Quink for the sprayed background. The Dawn Redwood, Coffee tree trunk, the plants and foreground shrub are largely in loose acrylic paint.  The fence is graphite. I've intensified some of the ink spots for the climbing plants. Following pretty much the same routine as before I drew this:




I found I was much more free with the larger paper and its texture was just right for the feeling I wanted to get.  The perspective works alright although maybe the Dawn Redwood could be a little more imposing.  I used a dark grey to keep it back in the picture and this is OK - maybe the fern needed to be a little broader.  The frottaged tree is quite convincing and the foreground shrub looks almost like a cotinus.  I like the newspaper "grass" because it gives lots of texture.

Earlier in Part 5 I gave myself some targets and I'm wondering if I've met them (in my opinion). Let's see.

  • I used frottage and printing 
  • I have created something with impact
  • I have been adventurous 
  • I have been surprising
  • I'm not sure how competent my work is.  I feel too inexperienced to make that judgement.
At this point I contacted my tutor who made some suggestions about how I could push this a bit further.

No comments:

Post a Comment