Search This Blog

Sunday 11 January 2015

Part 3 Project 5 Ex 1b

Having had some success in Gainsborough I decided to return and see what else it could offer.  I need to make several small sketches then choose one to develop into a larger study covering two pages of my sketchbook. 

I drew myself some 10 cm squares to draw within and in retrospect this was foolish because it restricted my proportions too much.  My supporting photos are rectangular unless I crop them.

Once again the weather was cold, dull and overcast with the prospect of rain - fairly typical for mid January.  The weather is having a real impact on how much I'm enjoying this part of the course.

What I didn't anticipate is the wealth of things that interfere with drawing in a town setting.  If I find something I'd like to draw there's always an onstacle in the way; traffic maybe or brash signs.

I expected to do some industrial images so I parked in Tesco car park and looked at what was once Marshall's heavy engineering works.  I was well below the level of the building and if I had drawn what was in front of me it would have been a plain concrete wall.  I had to look upwards.


Marshall's (in the past)

Marshall's was founded in 1848 and by 1885 the works covered 16 acres.  The red bricks I drew were made on site.  The windows are long and thin but there are lots of them.  Where the roller shutter door has been inserted the windows have been reduced.  It is interesting to see how the building has been changed over time as its function has altered.

I looked to my left and drew Wefco.  They make double skinned fuel storage tanks for industrial use. Some of the tanks are in my drawing.

Wefco
The fuel tanks in my sketch look too skinny but the perspective isn't too bad..

I moved my car to look over the houses and was frustrated by the Tesco filling station sign being in the way.



I tried to filter it out.

Gainsborough rooftops


The perspective here isn't at all right and if I wanted to develop this I'd need to sort it out.  My focus was the chimney and I like the verticals when lots of other things are on the diagonal.

Next I had a bit of a drive around and I'm pleased I did because the Old Nick Theatre was there just waiting for me.

Old Nick Theatre, Gainsborough

This building is very ornate; it's built in a pale buff brick with lots of red brick laterals.  I've managed the perspective better here but I'm still very insecure about it.

My final sketch is of Gainsborough's most famous building, the Old Hall (1). This a a medieval manor house with a wealth of history and I had discounted sketching it because I thought it would be to involved.  It is built on a slight rise and nothing, but nothing, is square.  A nightmare for someone trying to get to grips with perspective!

Gainsborough Old Hall

I'm surprisingly pleased with this.  I selected a part that I felt was manageable but maybe I should try more as the building has long sides.  I think I have captured the feeling of  an ancient "all over the place" building.  There is a lovely chimney to the right of my picture which would add a lot but I was nervous about trying it.

I think that tomorrow I will try the Old Hall again without the restrictive frame I drew within today.



Gainsborough Old Hall
Graphite stick and conte crayon

I used a whole page of my A3 sketchbook for this and have a few concerns.  The chimney that I wanted to include because it was interesting looks flat and insubstantial but I'm happy with the timbered part which is in fact the focus.  Rather than mess with the chimney I decided to leave it alone. I wanted a way to indicate that some parts of the building are brick so I tried conte crayon rubbed on its side and wish I hadn't.  I would have been better off using a water colour wash or soft pastel.  The perspective of the far building is a bit awry but the work is teaching me so much about really, really, looking.





(1)  http://www.gainsborougholdhall.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment