Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Part 2 Reflections


Demonstration of technical and visual skills

Each exercise on this course builds on the last one and in Part 2 that equals a lot of new learning.  I find it difficult to integrate all this new information into my drawings and at the end of a piece of work I’m likely to think “Oh no! I forgot all about negative space” or something similar.

My intellectual understanding of tone is sound but I find it hard to put what I know into practise.  Really dark shadows somehow seen impossible even though I know they are true.  My Assignment is a case in point.

I find that I have had favourite sections like still life and drawing around the home.  I got really bogged down with my animal drawings by trying to put in too much detail.  However, I was pleased with my owl.

Quality of outcome


My work is very variable – at one moment I think I’ve made progress then I regress and make something that looks like it’s from primary school.

However, when I think where I was in July when I started the course I realise how far I’ve come both creatively and personally.  I’m proud of what I’ve achieved but not complacent.

Demonstration of creativity

I sometimes get too involved in getting it “right”.  A major learning point has been that if I want to be expressive (and I do) I need to take some risks and just go for it. 

If my work has momentum it is far more exciting than something that has been meditated on until it’s comatose.  Just where the happy medium is between expressive and unplanned is part of the skill I suppose.

I have found it difficult to understand the paradox of drawing with expression and the rendering of detail.  It is tough to use expressive drawing in a still life.


Context reflection


In Part 2 I have researched extensively because I love to do it.  There’s a lot to learn from investigating theory or just looking at how other people have tackled the same task.

I reflect as I go to try to identify my strengths and put right those things that aren’t going so well.

I have become a member of my local Art Society and exhibited for the first time.  I have joined the Lincoln Weavers Group (bearing in mind I’m a Textiles student). These groups expose me to other ways of being creative

I keep my learning log (blog) up to date because it’s a good record of what I’ve achieved.  I put everything in my log, warts and all, because most learning comes from reflecting on the mistakes.  


Part 2 has offered a very varied range of topics and I have found it challenging not least because it’s been a long haul.  I find I’m longing for informed feedback.

I'm excited to be moving on to Part 3 and it's a strange coincidence that it's "Outdoors" when I've just seen "Mr Turner".



No comments:

Post a Comment